[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Misfit Studios • View topic - My Fiction-Dead Men Tell No Lies

My Fiction-Dead Men Tell No Lies

Want to show off your art or writing? Put it up here for all to see and discuss.

Moderator: Steven Trustrum

My Fiction-Dead Men Tell No Lies

Postby Darkstryder » Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:02 am

Here is a bit of fiction that I have sitting around on my hard drive. It is still unfinished, but I may finish it someday...

Dead Men Tell No Lies-Part 1

I hate rain. It ruins a crime scene like no body’s business. I call out to the investigators as I walk through the water and blood soaked asphalt towards my objective…a banged up dumpster containing the body of 23 year old Michelle Danvers. She was apparently grabbed and taken to this site for s gruesome mauling. The papers are calling this the Raleigh Mauler, and I have been assigned as lead investigator on this case. Jennifer Landers, the crime scene investigator who is in charge, comes up to me holding a Ziploc baggie with Michelle’s personal effects in them. She smiles at me and hands me the bag. “So Ramses King…they assigned you to this case? You must have pissed someone off real bad down at the SCU?” I gave her that smirk of “what business is it of yours?” but I do not actually say that. I tell her that it was a slow night and I needed a tough case to grit my teeth into. Truth be told, I was actually looking forward to this one. After weeks of busting up gang fights and such, this kind of case was the type that I could sink my teeth into. “Anything useful so far?” I ask. She glances at her watch and shrugs, “not much left to go on. The body is pretty torn up and there was a lot of blood loss. Although I think you will find this interesting.” She motions me over towards the body before the coroner takes it away. “See this indentation?” she points to a mark in her neck area like a very sharp bit was inflicted. “It looks like our killer like to bite his victims before killing them. He even seems to have had extensive dental work done to give himself sharp teeth to be able to pierce the skin.” I look closely and I see what she in talking about. I remember reading about the other two cases. There was too much damage to see this clue…the killer made a mistake! A big one…and I am going to capitalize on that one. There must be only a handful of dentists in the area who can perform this kind of work. I thank Jennifer and tell her that I want to see all the reports when she finishes her work.

I call out to one of the other detectives who I will be working with, and this young recruit walks up. He cannot be no more that 23 or 24. I hear he is an up and coming hotshot who is on the fastrack to making Captain soon. Well for now his is my subordinate and I need him to check some things out. “Ray! I need you to get back to headquarters and check out some dentists for me who specialize in teethe reconstruction and shaping into fangs.” He gives me that quizzical look and that just chafes me ass. “I did not stutter! Get your ass in gear and go do what I told you. Le me know what you find. Oh and Jennifer Landers is going to be sending several reports to the station. Begin looking them over and let me know what you find strange in them, I am going to finish taking a look around here and then I an going to be questioning witnesses.”

Ray had this surprised look in his face and ran off towards his patrol car while I decided to poke around the crime scene for a little bit.

“The rush is over, I hunger no more. It is getting harder and harder to feed myself each night. It is taking more and more of my control each and every passing night just to keep from attacking normal humans. I know the penalty for open feeding is death, but I think it is time I find a way to regain control of myself before it is too late.” Monte looks around at the blood-splattered walls of this two-bit apartment that he is residing in until he can overcome the blood rush. That one thing that has plagued vampires for centuries. It takes more and more of the older vampires who tend to be a little out of touch with the modern world. But Monte was not that old…he stays on top of all the latest trends and tries to stay ahead of the pack when it some to style. He just does not understand what the hell is going on with his body.

Monte turns and heads toward the bathroom where he can grab a shower and put on some clean clothes and get back to the business of trading information for favors. That was his stock-in-trade. He had amassed quite a bit of favors over the centuries. He was getting ready to trade some valuable information to the Baron, who is in control of everything in the city. Nothing goes on without the Baron having some sort of hold on the situation. Well he would trade anything for this bit of information about one of his rivals in Charlotte. Monte smiled inwardly to himself. This would be his greatest trade yet. As he turned on the shower he thought of the hold he would have over the Baron…and he could trade that hold for almost anything he desired…the water washed over Max like a cleansing fire. It felt good to rip out the girl’s throat. That fool Monte does not know what he is missing. Being a predator is what it is all about. I will have to try to be more careful though. The police almost caught me. If I were any slower, they would have had me! Now would that be a thorn in the side of the Baron? The pretentious bastard! He thinks he owns everything in this city! Well I will show him! No one owns Max Montgomery! I will bring his precious city down around him! Monte looked at himself in the mirror, he looked a sight. There were scars deep into his skin like someone had dug their nails into him. He concentrated and his blood went to work repairing the damage that was done. That was one of the other benefits of being a vampire…it takes an awful lot to kill one. Not that he has killed anyone, but he has had to defend himself on occasion.

Choosing an appropriate shirt, Monte checked himself in the mirror. Cannot be too careful. Who knows may be there with the Baron. It is best to look sharp and also be on guard for potential customers. Nothing like a little business to bring out the best in a vampire. Monte grabbed his keys and headed out the door. Looking back, he thought to himself, “I must get a new place. This just will not do. Maybe the Baron has a spare place he can give me as payment for this information.”

The Baron hated waiting. He told Monte to be here promptly at 8pm. Here it is 9pm and still no Monte. Damn him. I know what he wanted to tell me already, but I just wanted to see his preening face when I inform him of “his revelation” to his face. My spies told me of the shift in power in Charlotte even before it happened. I helped orchestrate it. It puts me closer to gaining control of two major cites. Monte just wants to garner a favor from me to give me this information. I should rip his head off, but he does keep the other hopping. That keeps the profits coming in for me. So he survives to see another sunset. Ahh…here come Joshua. He thought to try to take the city for himself feeling that I was being too heavy-handed with the lesser vampires here. I quelled that thought right away, by taking out his supporters one by one. Those assassins came in handy. Now look at him, all that bluster and no one to hear his cause.

Joshua looked around the room and saw the same faces he always sees here. The baron’s “ladies in waiting” as he calls them. They are nothing but leeches, trying to garner respect and favors for their notice. Feh! There is one of the Baron’s enforcers. Built like a tank and just as stupid. Well I better get this over with. Putting in my nightly appearance as punishment for trying to oust the Baron. It would have worked too, if it was not for the Baron getting rid of my friends. I will get even with him, but I have to be patient. I have centuries to plan for that, so giving lip service to the Baron is tolerable although some nights it really gets to me.

“Ahh…Joshua, good to see you again. How are things this fine evening?” The Baron smiled that knowing smile of a cat that has caught a little bird in its stare. He knows that Joshua hates him. He can accept that. He has heard the words of his supporters telling him to put an end to Joshua’s life. This though was infinitely more enjoyable. It also helps him keep tabs on his enemies. They always try to court those dissidents within the city who are tired of the status quo. They think if they give aid to them and are successful in overthrowing me, then they will have their hands in this city. What a joke!

Joshua did not smile back at the Baron. He loathed what the Baron made him do every night. This “ appearance” is nothing more than his showing off in front of everyone that HE is in control. That HE pulls all the strings in this city, and HE says who lives and who dies. All Joshua wanted to do was to jump up there, rip out his throat and drink him dry. That would show them all. No one makes fun of me and gets away with it. He approached the Baron and knelt before him. He hated this part…he reached out and grabbed a hold of the Baron’s hand and kissed his ring. He could hear the tittering of the others behind him. How much more of this must he endure?

Ramses King surveyed the crime scene and realized that there was nothing more that he could do here tonight. The rain was washing away any evidence that he could use to catch the killer. He would go back to the station and check on the coroner’s report. They should be starting the do the autopsy right now, so that would give him time to go and grab a bite to eat and maybe shake a few trees to see what falls out. He told one of the other officers that he was leaving and that if anything was found, to give him a call. He climbed into his Toyota Highlander and sped off, heading towards the local Waffle House on Hillsborough Rd. He could count on the local drunks to be there with some info on the happenings on the street. As he sped down the road, his thoughts drifted back to his wife and son in New York. “How are they faring? Are they protected from harm? Why did I have to screw up and lose the best thing for me?” He really misses them a lot. It has been a year since the divorce was finalized and he still wishes things had been different. But his actions cost him dearly. Internal Affairs was all over him for that incident with the suspect in a murder case he was working on. He needed to get him to tell where the body was stashed and he was being a hardhead about it, so he showed him the error of his ways. That cost him his job and ultimately his marriage.

Ramses pulls up to the Waffle House and sees several of the local snitches inside getting a cup of coffee. He was looking for one in particular, that knew more about the goings on in the streets than most people. He saw him sitting in the back corner by himself. Bad sign. That meant he was looking for someone and that he wanted to be close to the back door in case he needed to get out. Ramses gets out and looks around. Nothing out of the ordinary yet, but who knows what may happen once he gets inside. Heading towards the door, he goes over the questions in his head that he is going to ask. He hopes that this person will provide some answers.
Never presume a man does not have NINJAS at his disposal.

Raymond Terry
Editor in Chief-Dynamic Studios
Darkstryder
Wannabe
Wannabe

Return to Talent Showcase