Rogue Mage Game Master’s Guide
Written by Christina Stiles, Faith Hunter, Raven Blackwell, Spike Y Jones
Cover by Peter Bradley
Illustration by Rick Hershey
Copyright 2014 Faith Hunter and Christina Stiles.
Type: Major Power
Speed: 50 feet, Fly 90 feet (Poor)
Str 18 (+4) Dex 14 (+2) Con 20 (+5)
Int 18 (+4) Wis 20 (+5) Cha 22 (+6)
Saving Throws: Fortitude +6, Reflex +6, Will +10
Additional Limbs 1, Aura of Pestilence (Semjaza’s Touch), Aura of Shadow, Awareness, Battle Rage 2, Blood Demon, Caustic Blood, Conjure Focus (Cause Disease, Geothermal Control, Tornado, Weather Control, Windblast) 2, Counter Conjure, Craftsman, Danger Sense, Darkvision, Devour Essence, Diehard, Disease (Semjaza’s Touch), Elemental Affinity (Air) 10, Elemental Affinity (Earth) 10, Elemental Affinity (Stone) 12, Enslave, Extended Sense (Darkvision, Mage Sight, Magical Awareness) 8, Extra Luck 4, Far Caster, Fast Caster, Fast Track 2, Favored Opponent (women, children) 2, Fearsome Presence 3, Immunity (Awe, disease, fire, poison, Fearsome Presence, Voice), Infernal Artificer, Infernal Being, Infernal Source (Greater), Inspire 8, Knowledge Focus (theology and philosophy: Darkness, seraphim), Life Support, Magical Awareness, Mage Sight, Mindspeech, Perfect Vessel, Possession, Pounce, Rapid Recovery, Regeneration, Rejuvenation, Resilience (ballistic, bludgeoning, piercing, slashing) 3, Scent, Self-Revival, Serial Immortality, Silent Caster, Spirit Form, Still Caster, Summon Ben Reshep 8, Translation, Transform, Tough 6, Vessel of Darkness, Vampirism (Charisma), Voice
Environmental Vulnerability (sunlight: severe), Noticeable (nonhuman appearance, wings, supernatural), Sterile, Weakness (holy)
Bluff +18, Concentration +22, Craft (artistic) +22, Dodge +15, Intimidate +12, Knowledge (arcane lore) +19, Knowledge (theology and philosophy) +14, Natural Weapon (bite) +15, Natural Weapon (claws) +17, Parry +15, Ranged Weapon (magic) +20, Spellcraft +19, Survival +14
Attacks: bite +13 (+8 unholy piercing damage) or claws +15 (+6 unholy slashing damage)
Defenses: Dodge 23 (12 when flying), Parry 23
Base Creation Energy: 40
Maximum Creation Energy: 100 + 80
Base Potency: 21 (Air, Earth), 23 (Stone)
Conjures Known: Lamashtu knows all General, Air, Earth, and Stone conjures.
Lamashtu is skilled at creating infernal amulets and will have one or more with her at all times.
Lamashtu is a unique major power in the Rogue Mage universe: a fallen cherub. Her magical abilities rival that of a greater seraph and she has helped capture more than one minor seraph or watcher for Semjaza’s purposes. She is not a long-range planner and her partner is in charge of the more practical aspects of Semjaza’s plans. When Semjaza targets a community to be infected by plague, she often accompanies the bnei Reshep and lilitu in spirit form. She prefers to afflict mothers and children.
Should Lamashtu regain the ability to enter Otherspace, she will also become as powerful as a dragon herself.
Lamashtu’s primary goal is to undo the curse of the Most High and regain her fertility in order to produce more monstrous children. There are unconfirmed reports that Lamashtu bore several daywalker-like beings before she was cursed in ancient times. If this is true and her hybrid children still live after all these millennia, they would be powerful creatures indeed.
A creature possessed by Lamashtu adds the following to its profile:
Abilities: Str +1 Dex +1 Con +2 Int +4 Wis +2 Cha +4
Talents: Add Aura of Pestilence (Semjaza’s Touch), Danger Sense, Devour Essence, Fearsome Presence (with ranks equal to the possessed’s Intimidate ranks), Magical Awareness, Mage Sight, Translation, Vampirism (Charisma), and Voice. Lamashtu may allow the creature she possesses to use any of her skills or magical abilities.
Drawbacks: Add Noticeable (foul odor), Sterile, and Weakness (holy).
Virtue/Taint: Increase by –4
Even those closest to the Most High can fall. One of the four cherubs who served the Most High, Holy Sapphire was seduced by the dragon Semjaza to renounce her celestial duties in favor of carnal delights. She was lascivious and delighted in the attentions of the fallen seraphs, giving birth to many unclean spirits, most notably the predatory lilitu. Like many of the fallen, she demanded worship from humanity in the ancient past and great temples were dedicated to her and her consort, Reshep.
As Holy Sapphire, Lamashtu joined with the dragons in the original rebellion against the Most High. On the victory of the Most High and the seraphim, she was cast down, her role as servant of the Most High was given to another cherub, and her wheels were destroyed.
Recently Lamashtu and Reshep followed the Red Dragon to Earth and participated in the Last War against the seraphim
and their mortal allies. After the capture and chaining of Semjaza by the seraphs at the war’s end, Lamashtu, Reshep, and the other servants of Semjaza fled from the High Host and hid in the dark places of the world, awaiting the chance
to free him.
Lamashtu is a hideous mix of four forms: Her face is that of a lion with the beak of an eagle, she has the breasts and torso of a woman and the lower quarters of a great bird of prey. Her arms are the forequarters of a lion ending in paws with retractable claws. Four tattered vulture wings extend from her back, giving her an ungainly power of flight. Her fur, skin, and feathers are a dull dun bordering on black, and bear deep lesions, pus-filled sores, and bare patches of sallow skin. A great stench of rot fills the air about her, making many sick by her presence alone. Lamashtu is about 24 feet tall with a wingspan of 30 feet. Her eyes are a dark shade of orange and burn with hatred and madness.
Lamashtu’s spirit form is a foul-smelling collection of fetid vapors that contain thousands of small glowing motes of dim
As a fallen spirit, Lamashtu is prohibited from entering Otherspace or transmogrifying. This is bad enough for seraphs, but cherubs are creatures of Otherspace itself and the loss of her native realm has driven Lamashtu insane. Although she has adapted to exist within the physical world and no longer suffers from the Spatial Disorientation drawback, she alternates between periods of intense lucidity (in which her hatred of the Most High gives her acute clarity and focus) and periods of raging madness (when she is as dangerous to her allies as she is to her enemies). During her unstable periods, Reshep spends much of his time trying to contain Lamashtu and keep Semjaza’s forces safe from her wrath.
The Most High has also cursed her, preventing her from bearing any more children for the Darkness. As a result, Lamashtu bears a particular hatred toward mothers and children. She likes to possess serial killers, rapists, and
pedophiles who prey on them. Lamashtu envies and hates succubus queens and succubi for their reproductive powers and has killed more than one in the past. As a result, no such beings willingly work for Semjaza and his forces.
Lamashtu dreams of killing the four other cherubs.
Lamashtu is mated to Reshep, but as fallen the soul bond they used to enjoy has been severed.
Lamashtu is a cyclone of magical destruction in combat, unleashing her spells at the thickest knots of enemies. Lamashtu prefers spells designed to cause great damage, like Cause Disease, Death, Elemental Blast, Geothermal Control, Ignite, and Tornado. In conflict, Lamashtu is always protected by powerful Protection and Shield conjures. Lamashtu revels in the act of destruction and has been known to strike down her own forces in her careless zeal. Although she isn’t helpless in physical combat, she can’t compete with the sheer destructive force of the seraphs and avoids getting in fights with them.
Lamashtu is always accompanied by her fallen seraph mate (Reshep), her children (the lilitu), and many bnei Reshep, any of which would die to protect her.
The following is designated as Product Identity, in accordance with Section 1(e) of the Open Gaming License, Version 1.0a: all character names; the following racial names: neomage, kylen, seraph-touched, and second unforeseen; references to events in the Rogue Mage setting; all artwork and images; and all fiction. The following text is Open Gaming Content: all material not declared Product Identity.
OPEN GAME LICENSE Version 1.0a
The following text is the property of Wizards of the Coast, Inc. and is Copyright 2000 Wizards of the Coast, Inc (“Wizards”). All Rights Reserved.
1. Definitions: (a)”Contributors” means the copyright and/or trademark owners who have contributed Open Game Content; (b)”Derivative Material” means copyrighted material including derivative works and translations (including into other computer languages), potation, modification, correction, addition, extension, upgrade, improvement, compilation, abridgment or other form in which an existing work may be recast, transformed or adapted; (c) “Distribute” means to reproduce, license, rent, lease, sell, broadcast, publicly display, transmit or otherwise distribute; (d)”Open Game Content” means the game mechanic and includes the methods, procedures, processes and routines to the extent such content does not embody the Product Identity and is an enhancement over the prior art and any additional content clearly identified as Open Game Content by the Contributor, and means any work covered by this License, including translations and derivative works under copyright law, but specifically excludes Product Identity. (e) “Product Identity” means product and product line names, logos and identifying marks including trade dress; artifacts; creatures characters; stories, storylines, plots, thematic elements, dialogue, incidents, language, artwork, symbols, designs, depictions, likenesses, formats, poses, concepts, themes and graphic, photographic and other visual or audio representations; names and descriptions of characters, spells, enchantments, personalities, teams, personas, likenesses and special abilities; places, locations, environments, creatures, equipment, magical or supernatural abilities or effects, logos, symbols, or graphic designs; and any other trademark or registered trademark clearly identifi ed as Product identity by the owner of the Product Identity, and which specifically excludes the Open Game Content; (f) “Trademark” means the logos, names, mark, sign, motto, designs that are used by a Contributor to identify itself or its products or the associated products contributed to the Open Game License by the Contributor (g) “Use”, “Used” or “Using” means to use, Distribute, copy, edit, format, modify, translate and otherwise create Derivative Material of Open Game Content. (h) “You” or “Your” means the licensee in terms of this agreement.
2. The License: This License applies to any Open Game Content that contains a notice indicating that the Open Game Content may only be Used under and in terms of this License. You must affix such a notice to any Open Game Content that you Use. No terms may be added to or subtracted from this License except as described by the License itself. No other terms or conditions may be applied to any Open Game Content distributed using this License.
3.Offer and Acceptance: By Using the Open Game Content You indicate Your acceptance of the terms of this License.
4. Grant and Consideration: In consideration for agreeing to use this License, the Contributors grant You a perpetual, worldwide, royaltyfree, non-exclusive license with the exact terms of this License to Use, the Open Game Content.
5.Representation of Authority to Contribute: If You are contributing original material as Open Game Content, You represent that Your Contributions are Your original creation and/or You have sufficient rights to grant the rights conveyed by this License.
6.Notice of License Copyright: You must update the COPYRIGHT NOTICE portion of this License to include the exact text of the COPYRIGHT NOTICE of any Open Game Content You are copying, modifying or distributing, and You must add the title, the copyright date, and the copyright holder’s name to the COPYRIGHT NOTICE of any original Open Game Content you Distribute.
7. Use of Product Identity: You agree not to Use any Product Identity, including as an indication as to compatibility, except as expressly licensed in another, independent Agreement with the owner of each element of that Product Identity. You agree not to indicate compatibility or co-adaptability with any Trademark or Registered Trademark in conjunction with a work containing Open Game Content except as expressly licensed in another, independent Agreement with the owner of such Trademark or Registered Trademark. The use of any Product Identity in Open Game Content does not constitute a challenge to the ownership of that Product Identity. The owner of any Product Identity used in Open Game Content shall retain all rights, title and interest in and to that Product Identity.
8. Identification: If you distribute Open Game Content You must clearly indicate which portions of the work that you are distributing are Open Game Content.
9. Updating the License: Wizards or its designated Agents may publish updated versions of this License. You may use any authorized version of this License to copy, modify and distribute any Open Game Content originally distributed under any version of this License.
10 Copy of this License: You MUST include a copy of this License with every copy of the Open Game Content You Distribute.
11. Use of Contributor Credits: You may not market or advertise the Open Game Content using the name of any Contributor unless You have written permission from the Contributor to do so.
12. Inability to Comply: If it is impossible for You to comply with any of the terms of this License with respect to some or all of the Open Game Content due to statute, judicial order, or governmental regulation then You may not Use any Open Game Material so affected.
13. Termination: This License will terminate automatically if You fail to comply with all terms herein and fail to cure such breach within 30 days of becoming aware of the breach. All sublicenses shall survive the termination of this License.
14. Reformation: If any provision of this License is held to be unenforceable, such provision shall be reformed only to the extent necessary to make it enforceable.
15. COPYRIGHT NOTICE
Open Game License v 1.0a, Copyright 2001, Wizards of the Coast, Inc. System Reference Document, Copyright 2000-2003, Wizards of the Coast, Inc.; Authors Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook, Skip Williams, Rich Baker, Andy Collins, David Noonan, Rich Redman, Bruce R. Cordell, based on original material by E. Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson.
Modern System Reference Document, Copyright 2002-2004, Wizards of the Coast, Inc.; Authors Bill Slavicsek, Jeff Grubb, Rich Redman, Charles Ryan, Eric Cagle, David Noonan, Stan!, Christopher Perkins, Rodney Thompson, and JD Wiker, based on material by Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook, Skip Williams, Richard Baker, Peter Adkison, Bruce R. Cordell, John Tynes, Andy Collins, and JD Wiker.
Advanced Player’s Manual, Copyright 2005, Green Ronin Publishing: Author Skip Williams.
From Stone To Steel, Copyright 2003, MonkeyGod Enterprises LP
Mutants & Masterminds, Copyright 2002, Green Ronin Publishing; Author Steve Kenson.
Mutants & Masterminds, Second Edition, Copyright 2005, Green Ronin Publishing; Author Steve Kenson.
Nyambe: African Adventures, Copyright 2002, Trident Inc. d/b/a Atlas Games; author Christopher W. Dolunt.
Occult Lore, Copyright 2002, Trident Inc. d/b/a Atlas Games.
Silver Age Sentinels d20, Copyright 2002, Guardians of Order, Inc.; Authors Stephen Kenson, Mark C. Mackinnon, Jeff Mackintosh, Jesse Scoble.
Rogue Mage RPG Game Master’s Guide, Copyright 2014, Christina Stiles & Faith Hunter. Published by Misfi t Studios; Authors Christina Stiles, Faith Hunter, Raven Blackwell; Editing & Additional Material by Spike Y Jones.