the Big in Small Press
Misfit Studios is a small press publishing company that endeavours (yes, we’re based in Canada, so that’s the sort of spelling you’ll see on this site) to publish the kind of role-playing game products we ourselves want to bring to the gaming table to enjoy.
Quite simply, we at Misfit Studios are, and shall always be, gamers first and foremost, and that fact shall be the driving force behind everything we do.
What Misfit Studios Publishes
We publish a wide range of role-playing game products for a variety of game systems, often under license. Misfit Studios is also currently working on developing its first in-house set of rules, PD46FX, and a set of rules for dynamic miniature gaming.
- Pathfinder Role-Playing Game PFRPG: We provide a small (but growing) number of Pathfinder products. We will be expanding on our offerings soon, starting with an update and re-release of our popular Core Specialist Wizard product line.
- Armageddon: the End Times: Misfit Studios is the only company Eden Studios has thus far licensed to produce for their exceptional role-playing game of religious, spiritual, and military apocalypse.
- BASH!: Misfit Studios now publishes versions of its super-hero genre products for the BASH! system of role-playing game rules.
- Fate™ / ICONS: So far we have only produced a limited amount of role-playing game products for ICONS, but we have plans to expand our Fate™ line of role-playing game products when we have the time. We want to keep putting out ICONS products, as well as stuff that is all our own.
- Mutants & Masterminds Second Edition: We are the foremost third-party publisher of Superlink ( second edition ) role-playing game products. No other publisher, except Green Ronin itself, had so much additional rules content published for this role-playing game.
- Mutants & Masterminds Third Edition: As we did with the second edition, Misfit Studios is again moving to dominate third-party publishing for the third edition with its many Misfit Studios Mutants & Masterminds products already available, with yet more to come.
- SpirosBlaak Setting: A fun role-playing game setting with a steampunk feel that is also dominated by lycanthropes. We are currently planning a Pathfinder role-playing game edition.
- Savage Worlds: We have published a number of small role-playing game products of professions, monsters, player races, traps, super-hero content, and items. We also have plans to continue expanding this product line that has proven to be a fan favorite.
Working with Misfit Studios
We are currently looking or artists for commission work and to partner with for selling art they own the rights to as stock art. If you are interested, please read our Art Submission information page.
Misfit Studios is not currently looking for unsolicited freelance writers, although we’re open to helping you imprint something you are able to produce on your own and need help bringing to market, or if you have an idea for a collaborative project.
Playtesting New Product for Misfit Studios
We are constantly in need of playtesters — even if it’s just to proof read and double check game stats. If there is a product line you are interested in helping out with, email us with the subject line “Playtesting” and let us know why you think you’d be a good fit and with which product lines you want to help.
And when we say we want you to “playtest” for Misfit Studios, we don’t necessarily mean you have to put everything through its paces in an actual game. Usually, it is good enough to have a look at something, proof it, consider how it would operate in a game, and give feedback. Most playtesting is actually about assessing and evaluating new content.
So, if you think you know the rules well enough for any of the role-playing game systems we are currently producing for, email us and sign up for some playtesting!
All playtesters receive a 15% discount at our store, and a free digital copy (PDF) of anything they notably contribute to.
New Misfit Studios Message Boards
The Misfit Studios old message boards continued to break and find new problems arising with each required security update. The latest was the final straw that broke the software’s back, rendering BBcode unusable. Considering this was the second iteration of the board we hosted on our own site that broke down during regular updating being glitchy, Misfit Studios has decided to move the message boards off-site.
For quite some time, most customer and fan interactions have been via our blog and other social media outlets, so the relevancy of the message boards have long since been downgraded anyway. Still, they remain handy for product announcements and running playtests, so we have created a new board off-site, where we won’t have to worry about upgrades and the like. The new message boards may be found here. So far, there’s little there (beyond the playtesting materials a typical visitor can’t see), but this will change over time.